Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I've got style, yes I do, I've got style, how about you?

Personal style is inherently unique. We all like clothes that make us feel comfortable and good about ourselves. Some people have a personal style that relies on trends, labels, and high prices. Some people enjoy wearing things made locally and with organic textiles. Some people are true bargain shoppers, some go for the vintage look, and yet others are comfortable in whatever is clean-ish on any given day.

I am not one of those people.

As we were shopping this last weekend, my boyfriend realized that my personal style and current fashion trends don't exactly coincide. We could see rack after rack of ugly shirts that make every wearer look pregnant. Aisles upon aisles of clothes that look like they were made out of curtains. Mannequins with body shapes so alien that they looked more machine than human.

My personal style is a mix of just about every possible style. I wear darker colors, tons of simple lines, and generally form-fitting clothes that accentuate my curves. On a typical day in the winter, you'll find me in jeans and a fleece pull-over. During the summer, I more likely to be in jeans and a plain t-shirt. If I'm home alone, I'll probably be in pajama pants and a fleece (pretty much year-round). I'm not afraid to show a little skin now and then, but I tend to be conservatively dressed. I can't stand empire waistlines, and cap-sleeves, 3/4-length sleeves, and double-knit fabric are ultimate no-nos in my book.

Sometimes I look outdoorsy, and other days I'll look downright womanly. I do like the androgynous look for style, though, as it allows for the greatest flexibility through the day. Seriously, blue jeans and t-shirts (neatly kept, remember) can be extremely sexy as well as functional and comfortable. There's something divine about a man with well-fitted blue jeans and a crisp white t-shirt, mmmm...

Oh, right, this post is about my personal style. I have one. It's hard to explain, difficult to give examples about, and impossible to match. That's why it's called personal.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

OH! One of my FAVORITE topics! Personal style! Seriously, I am 'uniquely normal' myself when it comes to this! I am a jeans and t-shirt, year-round barefoot kinda girl - errrr, better make that 'woman' 'coz I've been out of the 'girl' league for a LONG time. But I am oh-so-casual. Dunno about how 'sexy' jeans and a t-shirt are on a 54 year old woman but I love comfort. Once upon a million years ago I had the kind of figure for barely-there bikinis and such but time and gravity have taken their toll and I'm afraid those days are behind me. My bosom is all about being a comfortable spot for my 2-yr-old grandson to rest his head while snuggling up to watch TV. Funny how life's priorities change with age, haha! All that said, I don't think I'll ever be a "Queen of Polyester" like the women my age were a generation ago. I tend to like dark colors, too, but I'm not afraid to add a splash of crimson, a lovely shade of aqua, here and there. Good post, Jaggy!