Sunday, July 06, 2008

Paulina Lake Panorama

I'm back from central Oregon, and I must say... it feels so good to be home. I don't really understand what draws people to a place so dusty and barren. Give me my green grass and wheat fields, the beautiful streams, and the moss and mildew any day. In the short time I was there, I was able to see family and a few new places. My parents and I visited the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. I took this panorama while standing on the shores of Paulina Lake. The obsidian flow is spectacular, and it offers some good views from the top. Paulina Falls is stunning in both scope and viewpoints. There is plenty of camping (both dry and places with hookups) in the La Pine area, and even though I'm not a fan of central Oregon, I did have a great time while I was there.

Well, okay, I had a great time until it was time to sleep. I had planned to spend two nights in my parents' trailer with them, but after listening to them snore for four hours, I gave up. I ended up sleeping in the front of my dad's truck (and by sleeping, I mean sitting there staring into my uncle's bug zapper for another two hours before going blind). Between 10am and 8am, I believe I got three hours of poor sleep. I ended up coming home Friday night instead of Saturday morning just so I could get some real sleep. I did not know humans could actually make that much noise while they slept, but it's possible.

So many more pictures... they'll appear here over the course of the next few weeks when I can't think of anything exciting to write. It feels so good to be home!

No comments: