Friday, August 22, 2008

Please, no more chicken!

My quest for a chicken-free week actually worked. Good thing, too, because I was starting to grow a beak and wings. While my diet is usually varied, I don't eat a whole lot of meat products. I don't morally object to eating meat, nor do I avoid it for health reasons. I simply don't like tons of meat in my diet, especially red meat.

Growing up, my parents always made dinner for us. At least four nights a week, we had chicken. Maybe one night each week, we'd have pork or beef. The other nights were probably either pizza or meat-free. Based on that trend, I never got in the habit of making steaks or roasts for myself. Chicken is cheaper, too, so naturally I tend to buy more chicken.

I only buy certain kinds of chicken, trim it very well, and cook it completely. I'll dress it up with spices, but since I can't stand marinades (seriously, don't even suggest it, I won't eat them), my chicken can become a little... "boring." It tastes great! and I'm a pro at replicating the flavor! still, not that exciting.

After seven days of no chicken, I can honestly say that I look forward to a good chicken taco or chicken nugget. Maybe next weekend. ;)

No comments: