Monday, September 29, 2008

10-year Reunion, I Think Not

As my friends and I age and make the journey beyond college, we're faced with one of those big life hurdles: the 10-year high school reunion. It's a big deal to a lot of people. They make plans months or years in advance, lose weight, change careers, or even get married for the sake of trying to one-up their former classmates.

I am not one of those people.

My high school class ('02!) was comprised of two types of kids: those who cared too much and those who cared not at all. The academic double-bell-curve divided us even further. I fell into the overachiever crowd, the group that wasn't satisfied with an A and had to have more than 100%. Most of those seventy-five-ish "smart kids" went on to colleges on the east coast, in California, or to private colleges in Oregon. A small handful of us stuck around to go to OSU, but we are the exceptions. Of the other group, some went into the military. A few went straight to jail. Some went back to their family farms to work. Many got married and have kids. These stories are not unique, no more than any other small-town school in Oregon.

But that 10-year reunion looms. I honestly don't think I'll go. I didn't have many friends in high school, and those few people I cared about I'm still in contact with through Facebook or MySpace. If I go, it won't be to check up on others or compare stories. I'm comfortable not needing to impress those people who picked on me for so many years. As much as I love my hometown and high school, I can't think of any reason to go back and relive four years with people I didn't care about then and don't really want to talk to now.

Anyway, how can you measure life or success (or hope to compare them) after ten short years? I don't want to go to the reunion. Maybe the 20-year... maybe then.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

I had no desire to go to my 10th but the 20th and 30th were somewhat tempting to my best friend Lizzee and me - we've been best friends since we were 13. But we talked each other out of going both times. Instead, our graduating class had reunion yearbooks made on the 10th and 20th and we bought those instead. Our 30th was the year YOU graduated and no reunion yearbook that year but there was a reunion photo taken at the get-together and did we ever have fun looking THAT over and commenting on it. Lizzee happened to come over one afternoon when my adult daughter was home and she said it was hysterical listening to us...we reverted right back to our high school slang and the things we said, the stories we told, just cracked her up. Number 40 is coming up in 4 years. Dunno if I want to go to that one or not, either. Too many have died of the ones I'd want to see, and like with your feelings about it, I don't really care to see the rest of them. We had a graduating class of close to 400. One guy...the Most Handsome...got in to drug trafficking and has been rotting in a Colombian prison for at least the past 25 years. If he's still alive.