Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Confess... I'm a Geek

Maybe it's because things that go "beep" interest me. I like poking buttons. I like when technology makes my life easier. Gadgets are cool.

When it comes to the kitchen, my two favorite devices are the toaster-oven and the dishwasher. I hate doing the dishes, so having the ability to rinse them off and put them "away" immediately is a huge thing for me. I refused to live in an apartment without a dishwasher. The washer and dryer were somewhat less important (though I love having them all to myself). The dishwasher is my friend. My toaster is pretty incredible, too. I have a cool one that is both a toaster and a toaster-oven, and I use it just about every day. Between my morning waffles and my evening meal, I don't know what I'd do without it.

For all the cool gadgets out there, I'm definitely missing a few. I do not have an iPod, a laptop, a fancy cell phone (I have one, it's just not fancy), or even a proper DVD player. Between my computer and a borrowed X-Box, I get the job done. I don't have many tools or helpful products, just the standard hammer, pliars, and screwdriver set.

Without a doubt, though, my computer is the hub of my social network, career, creative outlet, and time sink. I spend hours upon hours staring into a computer screen each day, sometimes writing, sometimes reading. Without an Internet connection, I'm not sure what I'd do. It's not even about getting or replying to e-mails, reading blogs, or being online. I like having the option to be online.

I do have a GPS, but it's nothing special. My Garmin eTrex helps me find geocaches. While it doesn't go "beep," it is a pretty awesome gadget.

My most favorite gadget is probably my camera. Like my GPS, it's not a unique device, nor was it terribly expensive. I don't have extra lenses or special filters. I don't carry around a huge camera bag full of equipment. Those things always make me feel like I'm cheating anyway. I studied photography, and I continue to challenge myself creatively. I suppose I'm a professional as my work has been commissioned... the camera played a huge role in that. :)

I like gadgets. I don't need them. But they can be pretty cool.

No comments: