Monday, September 08, 2008

The Lurkers

I see you clicking over while you're sitting at your desk on your lunch hour. I know you read. You're not fooling anybody, especially not me. Thanks for stopping by. Come back again soon.

When I started this blog, I honestly didn't think it'd last three weeks. I didn't figure people would read. Maybe my friends, possibly my sister... heck, I didn't even tell my family about it for a long time. It's just not something I considered. But now, several family members and a few friends come back to read my meandering thoughts.

A few people have discovered my blog and continue to read it who are of special note. At least four of my friends have parents who regularly visit my blog. These individuals are not my target audience. I realize my blog is public and can be read by anyone at any time (of course), and I don't post things I wouldn't want anyone to know (seriously, there isn't much I don't tell).

But I wonder what my friends' parents think when they read my blog. Do they think I'm crazy or interesting or silly or... These are people I actually know and respect, but I don't know them well enough to ask what they think. And by writing all of this, I suppose I'm doing just that.

I know you're there. I am glad you're reading. What keeps you coming back?

4 comments:

MissKris said...

Well, unless they tell you face-to-face, good luck in having your 'lurkers' speak up, ha! I see blogs all the time where 30 or 100 people will comment all the time. I'm lucky if I have 2 or 3, and I get quite a bit of traffic and lots of return visitors. Lots of lurkers...Tucson, Arizona, is one city that comes to mind where SOMEONE from there stops by daily and I don't have a clue who it is. I've tried several times to have people come forth but they rarely will. I find it very weird. One reader once came forth and said it's because mine is a 'thinking' blog...she loves what I write, that I so hit-the-nail-on-the-head in what I'm trying to say that it makes her ponder what I've written on my more serious entries all day. Whatever works, I guess. I always enjoy the feedback and love it when someone new speaks up, but I've given up on trying to get them to come out of their corners.

Anonymous said...

I don't comment much. I try not to bog down the blogger with useless notes or become predictable. I'd rather perk up when I have something useful to say. So I'll just keep reading and keep my commenting unpredictable but valuable.

cm0978 said...

I find it's a nice way to get to know more about someone in the younger generation. It's refreshing to me because you are much braver and more self assured than I was at your age, oh so many years ago. Plus, I didn't have any daughters to chat with, so it's interesting to see your perspective on life. Gosh, don't you think the Boy is cute? I could have told you that he easily reverts to a child -- keep him away from a soccer ball when you are inside a building unless you like scuff marks on your wall.

Heather said...

Hi. I discovered your blog randomly this summer, and I can't help but keep coming back to see what you've written. You remind me quite a bit of myself, and I really enjoy your musings on life and such. So I'm a lurker. :)