Friday, October 10, 2008

Meeting the Deacon

Today was interesting, certainly a different Friday than I've experienced... ever. About two weeks ago, I set up a meeting with a local Catholic deacon to ask him a few questions, hopefully gain the knowledge to be able to come up with more questions, and to get a couple answers. Today, at lunch, we met.

I didn't tell many people I was going to do this. I wasn't sure how people would react, but the few people I did tell instantly assumed I'm "converting to the dark side." The Boy knew, of course, and he came with me at my request. I wasn't scared to go alone, but I wanted him there to fill in the gaps where I knew I'd leave stuff out, and he helps me not have verbal diarrhea (as much) when I'm nervous.

We discussed my life growing up, how I've worked so hard at learning as much as I have, and covered my questions as best we could. I still have some--time is precious, though, and I also would like other opinions besides the ones I got today. I value the deacon's input and advice, and I am thrilled he was available if only for an hour.

Earlier this week, I, for some reason or another, decided to get crafty. I beaded a rosary. Don't ask me why, I don't know exactly, but that's what I felt like making. The beads are sharp, silver-lined glass, and they have to be forced onto the wire at times, so my fingers hurt the whole time I was making it. Then, after bending so many wires, my hands ached. Something stopped me as I finished connecting a few of the pieces: how could my infinitely small suffering be anything like that of others? Seriously. Maybe that's the lesson I was supposed to take away from the craft project... I don't know. But during our meeting today, I asked the deacon to bless the rosary for me. Now I can give it as a gift if I decide not to keep it. We shall see.

On that note, I have blog news: I will soon be starting a second blog! It might be a weekly blog, and I might not post to it more than once each month... this will still be my primary blog, and I hope to continue posting here daily (or so, sheesh, it's hard to write every day!). The address is ready and waiting, but I won't share details until I get the site sorted out properly and all customized. Details to come... soon...

No comments: