Thursday, November 20, 2008

Quiet Times

I haven't been very good about updating here often, but I have been thinking a ton about what I'd like to write. It's not easy to open yourself up to criticism (and possibly cruelty) regarding your faith. Between Protestant friends that recoil in terror when I show them my rosary (like it's a gang sign or something--just cracks me up) to my frustrations in finding a Catholic Bible that fits in my hands the way I want it to, things haven't been easy lately. I'm still learning and growing, though the path continues to widen instead of narrow. It's good. It's also rewarding. But it's not easy.

Speaking of the rosary, I have to say that I'm totally digging it. After finishing my study of all of the Bible readings behind the meditations (two months of work on that), I understand so much more how the rosary is a Christ-centered series of prayers. The quiet repetitions of the Hail Mary, Our Father, and other prayers quiets my mind and forces me to take a huge break from the world. I haven't worked up the guts to ask anyone to pray the rosary with me yet, but maybe once I can do the whole thing from memory (or cheat using my handy-dandy notecards) I'll do that.

Before I forget, I have to mention a sweet website I think I found through StumbleUpon. Ask Sister Mary Martha makes me laugh so much! She's really a Sister, really has a blog, and has more wit and charm than most bloggers out there. Not to mention she's really smart. And her information is good, logical, concise, and relevant to today's world. Did I mention she's hilarious?

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

Thanks for the link to Ask Sister Mary Martha. What a great blog! I think I will add her to my favorites and pass the link along.