Sunday, November 30, 2008

ShopShopShopping

The good news: I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping, and I only had to go to two stores! The bad news: I'm only shopping for four people this year.

Some people might think that I'm being stingy or cheap, but I don't really enjoy getting presents from people (thus, I don't give many). I'm a champion re-gifter, no shame or anything. Candles are my downfall. I can't stand them, and I don't like being fake when people give me what they think is a beautiful tablescape of candles and rocks. It screams fire hazard and waxy mess to me. It's not that I don't appreciate a kind gesture--certainly, gifts are a nice idea. But why do we line up to get people stuff that is likely to be tossed in the garage sale pile within a year?

I also don't like getting gifts because then I feel obligated to give one of equal value back. I can't do that, and I hate feeling obligated to do anything. If I want to do it, I'll do it. But if you don't get a present this holiday from me, please don't take it personally. I do like you, and I shouldn't need to fork over some cheap token to express how much you mean to me. (Oh, by the way Mom, this whole rule doesn't count for you and Dad. Feel free to spoil me. I don't think I'll mind. hehehe)

Last in this mini-rant, let it be known that I DO NOT like shopping in stores filled with crazy people who no sense of how to manoeuver a cart, handle their six screaming children, and price shop at the same time. I've learned to go very early and very late in the day, but it's still not much better. I know stores are tight for money--don't fire your checkers. I hate waiting in lines! (This is especially for you, WinCo... you have the worst lines of them all.)

No comments: