Friday, November 14, 2008

So Much for an Apple a Day

I caved. I finally did it. I called and set up an appointment to consult with my very own doctor. I haven't had a doctor in years, which means I also haven't had a physical in as much time. Kinda scary, I think, but I've been healthy so there hasn't been any reason to have a personal physician. But now I'm reaching those years where "girly visits" and blood tests and other medical stuff ought to be taken care of. I feel like I need to have some of my medical history charted and down on the books at least. I'm also insured and have the time to go to the doctor's office, so I ought to.

There is still this nagging feeling of resentment and frustration with every doctor I've had previously (except the last one, and unfortunately she's not taking new patients). I don't like going, and I don't want to go. I don't think doctors are as necessary for everything as people make them out to be.

Then again, I'd rather deal with preventative medicine than "oh crap, you're dying" medicine.

And since I know you're wondering, yes, I did find a female doctor at the Corvallis Clinic. No I won't say who (unless she really sucks, in which case you'll know after my visit in a couple weeks). I hope she's nice. I have a lot of hope.

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

I was amazed to discover that my oldest sister (now 74) hasn't been to a doctor since 1989!hasn't been sick, so she says why go? Yet my next oldest sister (68) regularly goes on annual check ups. Strange.