Thursday, November 20, 2008

Survey This

A couple months ago, I completed the American Institute of Consumer Studies booklet survey. In exchange (and true to their word, no strings attached), they sent me a check for $40. The in-home study took me about an hour, and I earned $5 for completing it. So I figure after an hour of in-home study and five hours working on the booklet, I was making just under what I currently make per hour to fill out little bubbles all about myself.

Today, in the mail, I received another booklet survey about my TV watching habits. I do enjoy watching TV (hate ads, though, and fast-forward through them constantly since I tape everything and watch it later). This new survey came with a $5 bill already attached, a crisp, clean, brand-new $5. Not bad!

Why, though (I keep asking myself this), do I enjoy filling out these surveys? Why do I want to do them? Money aside, why? Is the information about me somehow better or more important than information about you? Hardly. Maybe it's like voting: I feel it's my civic responsibility to inform the world what brand of laundry detergent I prefer (ALL, by the way, because it's the only stuff that doesn't make me itch). Maybe it's because I feel like I'm making a difference in society by sharing stuff.

Sure, I can do that all from my blog, but filling in the little bubble next to "Have you watched ER in the last twelve months" is such a satisfying experience...

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

I have been participating in the Marie Brighton surveys for at least 10 years -- for the same reasons (or lack of) as you. Now they are online and take even less time to fill out. However, I find that now that I am past the magical demographic age, I seldom get any "free" items to try out. Nobody cares about the baby boomers! Every once in a while, they send the survey on what I have bought in the past 6 or 12 months. I don't know where our money is going, but it sure isn't on any of the things they want to know about. I didn't realize how much stuff I wasn't buying!