Monday, November 10, 2008

Undisirregardless

have You ever read. a paper where some one didnt know how to use? proper grammer.

OH MY GOSH. I know I went to a public school and shouldn't know how to tie my own shoes, let alone know where commas go, but I do. I know all about periods and hyphens and how to not make a crazy-long run-on sentence. I am also aware that sometimes the rules can be broken. I break them. I use em-dashes incorrectly, and I don't always separate out the parts of a sentence with "and," "but," or "or." But sometimes I start sentences with those conjunctions. I am not writing a professional paper on my blog. The point is that I can use proper grammar: I simply choose not to on my blog.

Therefore, I consider myself qualified and able to critique other people when it comes to grammar. Simple mistakes happen, of course, and I'm not railing on someone who mistypes "one" instead of "once." I'm talking about repeat offenders who can't figure out how to make a list. I'm talking about people who don't know the difference between "gone" and "went." There is no reason a college-educated, a high-school-educated, or even an 8th-grade drop-out student shouldn't know what a semicolon is and how to use it!

I propose that the first class any college student takes shouldn't be Writing 121. It should be English Grammar 101. Until a student can write a list, properly cite a source using both APA and MLA methods, exclaim once or twice, and question everything, they cannot move on to science or math. Undisirregardless of your previous education, knowing how to communicate effectively and professionally should be mandatory. Seriously.

(P.S. I think that's the coolest new word I've invented in a long time.)

6 comments:

Amanda said...

We have a "grammar bee" in my legal writing class, and I kid you not - a kid with an undergrad degree from Berkeley and a MA from Chicago didn't know what an infinitive was. Another student had to ask our prof what he meant when he was talking about ending sentences with prepositions..."ending sentences with WHAT?"

I agree - mandatory grammar education is a must!

whit-o-roni said...

oh man... ending sentences with prepositions is the worst...

seriously, i cringe when i get assignments from teachers that have more errors than the dumb thing is worth!

ugh!

Eric said...

I disagree about knowing how to cite in APA and MLA. Since I'm in CS I think its far more useful that I know how to cite in the ACM format. Also, I often find the citation rules, regardless of format, pedantic. The point of a citation is to give the reader the information necessary to find the material, being anal retentive about if a person should use a comma or a semi-colon to separate the title from the author is pointless.

I do agree that a person should be able to form a coherent sentence on paper when the need arises.

The Boy said...

ps i think thats the coolest new word I'VE invented.....

cm0978 said...

While you're at it, can you make sure they also teach how to use an apostrophe for possession and when the word is simply a plural? That's MY rant and pet peeve. I do like the new word -- is that like a triple negative?

Michael said...

I would like to precede your class with a mandatory Spelling 90, otherwise your class might have graduates who, "now no know thing can stop them from a grate riteing fewture."