Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Picky

I've had it. Game OVER.

Until people stop picking on me about my food choices or learn to live with the fact that I'm different, I'm going to flip my lid when someone picks on me about food. It's all the time. I've reached the point where I no longer go out to eat with friends because they'll say something like, "but you always get that to eat. Why not get this?" I don't go to parties where other people cook for two reasons: first, other kitchens usually scare me, and second, because people like to "hide" ingredients in their food. Tell me exactly what you're making before you make it, and I'll let you know if I want to join you. Don't take it personally when I decline. I am not ashamed of my likes or dislikes, nor do I care what people think about my odd diet. It seems to be working well for me so far in any case (I'm healthy at least).

Seriously, nagging at me about this every day is exhausting. It's the kind of thing that would drive someone to an eating disorder. Good thing I enjoy my plain ol' peanut butter sandwiches too much to give them up.

I worked in a kitchen: believe me when I say I've tried many things I never thought I'd eat. I know without a doubt the foods I do and do not like. Harping on me, teasing me, and reminding me constantly that you don't approve of my habits isn't going to help your cause. Let it go. Leave me alone. Find peace in your own foods, and I shall attempt to do so with mine.

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

Yes, it makes no sense to force someone to eat what they don't want to. I just dig my heels in even worse if told I should try something, or that "how do you know you won't like it if you haven't even tasted it?" If it came out of the water, I don't eat it. It makes it very simple. When I was growing up, I felt the pressure to eat everything on my plate whenever we ate out. Now, I don't care -- I paid for it, I don't have to eat it all if I don't want to. Which is what I said to my oldest sister just this weekend.