Sunday, December 28, 2008

Plastic Overload

I couldn't take it anymore: the kitchen needed to be reorganized. Okay, the kitchen didn't need it, but I did. I couldn't get to what I wanted without moving eight things, and the spice cabinet was ready to discombobulate itself. Organizing commenced this weekend, and now I feel like I have so much more space!

What made the huge difference? I save all of my plastic bags after grocery shopping. I'll reuse them to line my bathroom garbage, use them for clean-up as scrap bags when I'm cooking, or use them for muddy shoes after hiking or berry picking or whatever else I need a waterproof sack for. It wouldn't have been bad if I had ten or twenty sacks, but I had three sacks full of other sacks! Apparently I don't use them much. But I couldn't bear to throw them away (they're plastic, after all), so I just kept saving them and piling them up until I ran out of room for them entirely.

The good news: they're out of my kitchen, and their space has been filled with baking supplies so now I can't store that many again. The great news is that the co-op in town will recycle them for me! Safeway also has a drop-off for recycling these plastic bags. I did keep out three or four sacks for my garbage, but there's no reason to keep the rest. My plastic overload is headed for recycling, and I'm so thankful to have my cabinet back.

No comments: