Monday, December 29, 2008

Traffic School the Hard Way

I am not suited for driving in big cities. Even Salem can be a bit much for me. This weekend, though, I went up to Portland for Emily's wedding. Between her house in Hillsboro, the church in southwest Portland, and the reception somewhere near Tigard, I was sufficiently out of my element driving-wise. In order to get from one place to another, one goes from Highway 26 to Highway 405 to Interstate 5 to Highway 'Something Else' and then a major surface street to the eventually smaller side streets. Where I come from, you turn right at the railroad tracks, left at the end of the road, and poof you're out of town. Even here in Corvallis, the "president streets" go one way and the "number streets" run the other way from the river heading west. The numbers are in order and they generally don't skip or go crazy or anything. The presidents are even in the right order (as far as I can tell, but I don't think they get up to the 1950's anyway). It was insanity. I white-knuckled my way across town three times. Finally, tonight on the way home, I made The Boy drive. I have never let anyone else drive my car, but I felt terrible and didn't want to drive all the way home. He was fantastic and got me home safely.

I do not see myself living in the big city. Traffic is way too crazy up there for me!

3 comments:

whit-o-roni said...

oh... don't forget... you gotta turn at the "corner cows" too!!

:)

The Guy Who Writes This said...

You can get used to it if you need to. It's just like getting used to driving at night.

Amanda said...

:) Yesterday I had to go to a store 8 miles from me which involved 3 freeways, 2 major interchanges and 1 near accident. And it took 20 minutes.