Saturday, December 20, 2008

Un-Christmas

Today was my un-Christmas. The Boy and I were supposed to drive to Redmond with my parents and sister today for my mom's extended family's annual Christmas soiree. Due to heavy mountain snowfall this week and a winter storm in the works as I blog, we opted to stay in the valley. While I never wanted to drive that far for the family bash in the first place, I have to admit I'm a little sad I didn't get to go this year. Sure, I could have braved the pass and gone really slow around those twisty-turny roads, but without much blizzard experience, it was safer and probably better that we didn't go.

Instead, Mr. Wonderful and I went to my parents' house and joined them, my sister, and Grandma for one of Mom's elaborate and delicious turkey dinners. Mom has the turkey dinner down to a science at this point, and her nearly fat-free (but exceptionally flavorful!) meals are something I don't get to enjoy often. She slow-cooked half a turkey, mashed the potatoes and yams, made clear turkey gravy (I have yet to understand how she gets it that clear and still have flavor), sugar-free red Jell-o, dry un-stuffed stuffing (crumbly and crusty, not mush at all), sweet corn, and dinner rolls. The rolls were probably the most unhealthy part of the meal, but as always, I think they were the first to disappear.

Dessert made up for the health factor (let's not get crazy or anything). Mom splurged on a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. I snagged a piece of the dulce de leche cheesecake, and oh my was that ever delicious! Smooth, sweet, caramelly goodness!

I didn't know caramelly was a word, but my spell-checker accepts it.

Today's small family thing was really nice, though, even if we couldn't be with the big family. It was like every Christmas I remember, except no drama, no wine, no gifts, no cousins, and no being banished to the kids' table. Wait a minute... I love little Christmas! ;)

No comments: