Thursday, January 15, 2009

E-vitations Redux

I tried to make it clear the first time, but apparently some people didn't take the hint. I will not RSVP to Facebook events. If your event is important enough to truly need an RSVP, you can mail them to me. I will respond by returning the pre-stamped note, or I will call you to confirm my attendance.

The events that get frustrating are dances. I'm part of the dancing community, and as a dancer, I keep up-to-date on events through e-mail, paper hand-outs, bulletin boards, and general conversation. Yeah, talking to people. These events are public events, and I have the option to show up if I want. Since nobody has to figure how many people to feed or how many chairs to set out, my RSVP is completely optional. It's just a dance. But for every single dance, one of my friends decides to send me an e-vitation. It feels like I'm being pressured into coming at this point, and I'm tired of it. "Look, we're having a dance and you have to come, and you have to RSVP on Facebook or you won't be able to get in the door." I think not.

I've taken to not only not replying to these events but going so far as to remove the events from my list entirely. I'm uninviting myself. I don't care about Facebook enough to regard it as my social life. Dear friends, if you really want me to come to an event, call me, e-mail me, or even talk to me. If you can't go to those little lengths, I am obviously not important enough for you to want me at your shindig.

It's not that I think I'm too good for Facebook. I simply believe that my time and efforts deserve more respect than a casual "check yes or no." If you can't respect me enough and want my company enough to talk to me personally, then I think we need to reevaluate why you're inviting me in the first place. Otherwise, I'm not going to RSVP to your stupid public events on Facebook so stop sending me invitations!

No comments: