Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Inventing Food

My weekend included a new recipe! I invented a new food in my crock pot. Try at your own risk.

2 chicken breasts cut into five or six pieces each (big chunks, they'll fall apart later)
5 russet potatoes (yukons would be good, as would fingerlings)
1/2 bag frozen broccoli
1 can cream of chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese blend (I used the "mexican blend" but any cheddary blend will work)
seasonings to taste

Place chicken, potatoes, cream of chicken, whatever seasoning you like, and most of the cheese in the crock pot and let it go on high for about four hours. At least, that's when I checked it and the potatoes seemed done. Put in the broccoli and the last bit of cheese on top of that about twenty minutes before serving. My invention was pretty thin as far as sauce goes. I'd suggest adding more cheese if you like it, substituting rice for the potatoes, and doubling the chicken (because it was so delicious).

The Boy said my invention was pretty good, and I ate until I was full, but I'll tweak it a bit next time. Cheese is kind of a pain to clean out of a crock pot: next time no cheese for me. I think I'm working on a stew next, Mom's not-so-secret recipe. It's really nice to toss dinner in the pot and have it mysteriously done to perfection without having to touch it, stir it, poke it, or test it. I wish I had gnomes at home that would put everything into the crock pot for me while I'm at work!

No comments: