Friday, January 09, 2009

Poked and Prodded, Indeed!

Okay, guys, this post is not for you. It's ladies only from here on out. Come back tomorrow for more great blogging, but stop reading unless you really want to know too much about women.

Hi fellow ladies of the world. I had my first-ever woman-bits exam this morning. I got a shot. I hurt, I feel a tiny bit violated, and I want to stay home for the rest of the day but need to go make money to pay off the silly co-pay that my insurance won't cover.

Without telling you all of the wonderful details about the exam, let me say that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. The doctor was kind and gentle. She explained every single thing (even to the point of "this is my hand on your leg" or "next, I'm going to do..." It wasn't painful at all. In fact, I was quite relaxed for just about the whole thing.

Well, until it came to the shot. It hurt so much! My arm is going to hurt for days. Between my doctor and myself, we decided that there were no downsides to getting the Gardasil vaccination to prevent HPV (the leading cause of cervical cancer). My insurance will only cover the shots until I'm 26, so if we were going to do it, now was the time. The vaccination does not mean I won't get cervical cancer, but it dramatically reduces the risk. Even though I've never been at risk for contracting HPV and have no intentions of putting myself at risk for it, there are still no downsides to protecting myself from it or cervical cancer. It's kind of like keeping a fire extinguisher in the kitchen: you hope you'll never have to use it, and you have no intention of needing to use it, but something might happen when you do need it. At least I'm good and protected now, both from HPV and, hopefully, at least one kind of cancer (and a flaming pan on the stove).

Here is your reminder to go get an exam if you haven't done so already. Yes, it's not fun, but they're so important. And feel up those boobies every month! That doesn't hurt, doesn't cost anything, and will probably save your life. Seriously, do it. DO IT.

1 comment:

whit-o-roni said...

yes. the gardasil shot hurts like a *ahem,* well, you know...

the reason it does, though, is because they have to give it to you cold. so when it gets into your bloodstream, your blood is boiling and it is like an ice cube.

doesn't it feel like your blood is screaming?