Sunday, January 18, 2009

Regarding what exactly?

I keep thinking that I need to write a blog post about the books I've read lately, but then I realize how much I dislike reading about other people's book recommendations. I can't even accurately describe the books I'm reading, so I shouldn't try. The books are Frank McCourt's autobiographical works, and they're an utterly delicious lilting three-book narrative. Beyond that, I'm sure you can read for yourself at amazon.com or elsewhere.

Tomorrow is Martin Luther King Day. No one I know is celebrating. None of the people around me understand what it is to be persecuted, prejudiced against, or remotely in the minority. Of course, I have no first-hand experience either (aside from the annoying judgment I can't seem to avoid), but I recognize the historical impact Dr. King made on my country and the world. I figure if the State of Oregon is nice enough to give me a day off in honor of a man so filled with the notion of human rights and equality, then maybe those are important enough things for me to think about more. Maybe you should too.

Lastly, I should warn people that I've turned off all of my RSS feeds for this blog. If you want to read what I say, you'll have to come here. Fed up with people who turn off RSS feeds, sorry. I have shorter posts in the works that will post entirely on the feed, and I would appreciate my readers actually coming here for the full experience. Selfish, perhaps, but you have the choice to read or not. I leave that in your hands. (No, Grandma, this won't affect you at all!)

Sometimes I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I remember that my grandma is one of my most frequent readers. She's always on her computer following the world, writing about her world, or otherwise staying engaged. That's pretty awesome. Sorry my last paragraph wasn't actually my last, but I have to send a "HI!" to Grandma. Hi to you as well, I guess, whoever you are.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

I think it's great that you have a close relationship with your grandma. One of mine died when I was 3 and I have no conscious memory of her, tho when I think of her I get a warm feeling so there must be some kind of deep residual memory of her somewhere in my psyche. My other grandmother lived in New England and I never met her til I was 14. She was not grandmotherly at all. I really missed out on the grandparent thing with my grandfathers, too. Maybe that's why I pour out so much love on my two little grandsons. I want them to have what I never did.