Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Work Nights are the new School Nights

When I was little, Mom and Dad would have to come into my room well past my bedtime and tell me to stop reading. "Turn out your light and go to sleep. You have to get up for school tomorrow and don't want to be tired." I'd insist on finishing my chapter, page, paragraph, and line before finally giving in and turning off the light. Sometimes they'd go to bed, and then I'd snuggle up to my alarm clock and finish my chapter by the light of my alarm clock numbers. Yeah. Take that, parents.

Last night, sometime after midnight, I heard my parents' voices echoing in my head. My book is too good to put down (a blog coming about it soon), and I just wanted to finish the chapter. The good-sized book only has about ten chapters, so it takes a long time to get through one. I try to finish half a chapter each night right now, but I was determined last night. I'm an adult, I told myself, I can stay up as late as I want now. So I did.

I'm tired today. I don't regret staying up late, but I sure am tired. It was worth it.

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

Isn't it great to be an adult and have no one to tell you how to do things? I'm an adult, I don't have to eat the crusts or heels of bread. I don't have to clean my plate when the meal has yucky stuff I don't want to eat.