Monday, February 09, 2009

Cooking for Two (but Eating for One)

When I first moved out of my parents' house, I had to learn how to cook for myself. That is, I had to learn how to cook for one (as I already knew how to cook for many). Soup recipes got halved, roast and slow-cooker recipes became obsolete. I don't like leftovers, so I had tons of salad, one chicken breast at a time, and sandwich after sandwich.

But since I've started dating The Boy, I've had to relearn how to cook for more than myself. Where one box of Rice-a-Roni would last two meals, it now acts as a side-dish to something else. My waffles only last half as long. My peanut butter disappears twice as fast. I actually buy produce and bulk items since they won't go bad before I get around to using them (yay!).

The Boy does his part to help me shop, and he always pitches in on the cost of food since I pretty much cook dinner for both of us every night. We go through a two-week rotation of our favorite foods, and we're both happy with the schedule. Plus, I always know what food to buy and make (pasta, pizza, rice, bread, etc.). It's getting easier...

I really do enjoy cooking for two. However, I'm not so keen on doing dishes for two. ;)

No comments: