Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Grammar Reminder

As much as I try to have patience with people, I'm running out when it comes to poor grammar. Sometimes the papers I see have entire paragraphs without commas. I feel like they all need to go back to grade school and relearn basic punctuation. My biggest pet peeve is with prepositional phrases. In case you were wondering:

The word "Breakfasts" is not pronounced "break-fast-tes-ses."

Commas belong in lists, after prepositional phrases, and usually before "and," "but," or "or." (Did you catch that one? I put a comma before "and" and "or" since they were lists. HA!)

It is not okay to capitalize words Randomly even if you think they are Important.

Run-on sentences are not effective in describing to people how to utilize certain aspects of our website even though you think you can get everything you need to explain out in one long sentences it's actually very difficult to make any sense of what you're saying!

You. Your. You're. LEARN THEM.

Punctuation goes inside quotation marks unless the entire sentence is a question. That's the only exception. Even if you're trying to make a word "special."

The words "query" and "quarry" mean different things. Very different things. You can query information about a quarry, but you can't exactly quarry and query.

And don't even get me started on starting entire papers with the word "and." It's one thing in an informal blog where stream-of-thought writing makes sense... but a formal scientific paper!? Ugh.

That, dear blog readers, is only the beginning with what I see on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Eric said...

I know its wrong, but I put my commas *outside* the quotation marks when doing lists of quotations. I think its because I'm a computer scientist; if you are making a list of quoted strings, it is "one", "two", "three" or else the compute will think you mean one string with a comma inside it.

MissKris said...

I am guilty of A LOT of things, haha! Oh well...I write as my brain dictates at any given moment when I sit down at my keyboard.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Buy several copies of Eats Shoots and Leaves and hand them out to offenders.