Friday, February 13, 2009

Soupy All Over

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a cold. My bones ache, and I'm tired, a bit stuffed up, and just want to crawl into bed and stay there until this all blows over. Maybe it's the beginning of allergy season... I hope not!

Yesterday evening, The Boy made soup for me. He hasn't cooked for me in weeks due to his busy schedule, and though we'd already planned that he was going to make dinner, it couldn't have been on a better night. The soup was good, too! Even though homemade soup is far superior than anything in a can, there's something comforting about classic Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle Soup. It really did make me feel better.

Everyone I know says the condensed soups are horrible for you. They're full of sodium and trans fat, cholesterol, etc. I did a little label comparing while we were in the store. The Safeway brand of chicken noodle soup is marked "low fat," yet it contains more fat, sodium, and cholesterol than Campbell's. It also listed fewer nutrients with more ingredients (which is a bad sign). Though the store brand was on sale and the national brand wasn't, we paid the extra twenty cents for better soup. And we liked it. :)

Tonight, I'm going to make homemade soup for my mom for her birthday (which was yesterday). That was her birthday request as she doesn't really need anything or want gifts. I'm glad I can afford a special dinner for her, especially on a Friday night when nobody wants to cook.

If I don't blog this weekend, don't worry. I'm probably just laying low and not worrying myself over having to post daily. I'll be back soon!

No comments: