Friday, March 13, 2009

Being Not Greedy is Not Fun

Mr. Wonderful and I have realized just how daunting creating a wedding registry can be. We've run through Target and JC Penney already, and our list is barely a hundred items long. I'm told that we need to have enough items for every person to be able to pick from two choices, so that means our 250+ guest list requires about 500 items on the registries. I can't even think of 500 items to put in a house. I think we'll end up with maybe 350 items on the lists, but the struggle to 100 was hard enough.

I think part of our problem is that we're not being greedy. I have a decent pot and pan set, plenty of hand-me-down wooden spoons, and a few great casserole dishes. Why would we want to put more pots and pans on the list? Both of us have blenders--albeit not great, but functioning ones--why would we need a new one? I have great Corelle dishes and nice Oneida flatware. He has a nice dining set and some dishes of his own.

Sure, we're putting new sheets, towels, luggage, and a few nice board games on the registries... it's not that we don't need some new things to start a life together! I have such a hard time asking people to buy me something that I don't need though. I want nice new stuff, don't get me wrong, and I'd love it if all of my dishes were fancy-schmancy. Heck, I'd love to not have to wash the new fancy-schmancy dishes! I don't need a new knife block set, but I want one.

Where do you draw the line? Do you register for everything or only the things you need and really, really want? What were some of the most useful or practical things that people gave you (or that you've given) that you didn't register for (or maybe did)?

3 comments:

bettse said...

This is just a theory, but I think you're mixing personal and social expectations. You and The Boy are very down to earth, non-greedy, non-luxury people who would very easily mix the best of what possessions you have and start a wonderful new home. Wherever it is that you're reading about every guest bringing a gift, and having a choice between two, sounds like it's aimed at people who plan to throw away most of their 'college' possessions when they marry or who shared a lot of their possessions with roommates and will be leaving them behind.
Again, just a theory, I've only been to three weddings, and I was told not to bring a gift to those ones, so my experiences are pretty limited.

Strayer said...

You could put a gift certificate for car repair on it. Or new tires. Or gas cards. I think in a previous post you said your car needs some work on it. What better gift?

Jeff W said...

Lol, I never thought about it before but I have no idea what I would put on a registry. I could think of a few things that I would like- but a few hundred? That would be hard. Sorry I haven't stopped by in a while but I've been out of town without my computer that has your blog favorited on it. Then I got the bright idea of googling "Uniquely Normal". That's me, always the quick one!