Sunday, March 01, 2009

Flowers!

Wedding plans keep moving ahead. I called florists this weekend to see what flowers might cost for our wedding. HOLY FREAKING COW! One shop quoted me $70 for the bridal bouquet alone, and another shop was trying to sell me one for almost $100. One bouquet. NO WAY. After a dozen boutonnieres, five bouquets, five corsages, and altar flowers, I was looking at more than $700. AAAAAAACK!

The Boy and I went to the local craft store yesterday to price silk flowers--our other option. It just so happened that the store has all floral supplies on sale at 50% off this week... we figured that I can hand-make all the flowery things myself for well under $75, about 1/10th the cost of real flowers. If people want to throw them away after the ceremony, who cares?! I'm only out pennies instead of dollars. Plus, the store has a 60-day return policy, so if I end up with extra stuff, I can take it back for a full refund.

As a compromise, we agreed that the flower girls will carry real flowers up to the altar (since the church won't allow them to drop petals). Two or three really nice sprays or baskets will look fantastic, plus if they look wilty or something, they won't be in pictures. We might be able to get Safeway or Costco to do those flowers cheaper than local florists anyway. That's something to think about in oh, September... :)

It may seem like I'm jumping the gun in planning flowers this soon, but having silk flowers means I won't have to worry about them dying or turning brown. I can take plenty of time to make them look fantastic on my own. With the help of an aunt or a friend, I should be able to make them look professional, too!

Meanwhile, I crafted another rosary this weekend. Pictures of those projects coming...

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

That's funny that you mention Costco for flowers. I just mailed The Boy a packet of info and had included an ad for wedding bouquets from Costco. I don't know how their prices compare....