Friday, March 20, 2009

Taste-Testing Tilapia

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not very good at not eating meat on Fridays during Lent. Technically it's okay since I'm not actually Catholic (yet?), but I'm trying to support The Boy since he is. We've been eating tilapia for the last couple weeks on Friday nights. One recipe didn't work quite so well, but the other was pretty tasty.

When breading fish, I've learned that you can't just put wet fish in breadcrumbs. You need glue. Egg is a great binder, but I guess I forgot that last time. I successfully made soggy fried breadcrumbs on bland fish. Yay me!

My second tilapia adventure was a bit less daring. I put two fillets in a foil-lined baking dish, and then smeared them in paprika, black pepper, garlic salt, lemon juice, and butter. After covering the pan with foil, I baked the fish at 425ยบ for about twenty minutes. The fish ended up moist, flavored, and quite good when accompanied with some cheesy rice.

Tonight's adventure might include some correct breading techniques. I haven't decided yet. I'm pretty new to the whole fish-cooking thing... Do you have any great fish recipes that don't involve a marinade, a sauce, or grilling (tilapia doesn't grill well)?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty much the same as your 2nd attempt, but I cook fillets of salmon or steelhead with a light covering of brown sugar, lots of butter and lemon juice. the brown sugar sort of caramelizes on the fish, and the melted butter keeps the thin parts moist