Friday, April 10, 2009

Comment Moderation

When I first started blogging, I didn't moderate comments. I didn't really receive many, and the few I did get were from people I actually knew. Since I knew them, I felt obligated to not edit or remove their comments. It's a free world, I thought, they can say what they want.

After years of blogging daily, though, I find that sometimes comments can be not only harsh, but even cruel or threatening. I've had people tell me everything from "you're full of crap" to "I want to rape you." Seriously. I wish I was joking, but I've received threats.  At some point, I decided that my blog was not going to be a place where I felt threatened. It's not worth it to feel like I'm a bad writer, a bad thinker, or even a bad person for having a blog where I post my emotions and desires.

People have come here hoping to find their comments tallied up on my blog only to see that they weren't posted. Simply put, I moderated them and opted not to post them. I can hear people now: "What gives you the right to post something and not allow feedback? Isn't that what blogs are for?" It doesn't really matter what other blogs intend: this is my blog, and I can have whatever I want written here. You don't have to agree with me. I don't even mind it when people tell me they disagree with me--that's fine! But please be respectful and considerate. I get to rant and swear: you can do so in your own space.  If you have a blog and I comment unsatisfactorily, you can delete mine too.  It really is a two-way street.

Bottom line: if you can disagree with me and not be cruel, threatening, or a bully about it, you're good to go. If you can't say anything nice or criticize constructively, don't even bother.  You can always start your own blog and rail against me if your comments are that important.  (Though I think it'd be hilarious to have an anti-Jaggy blog on the 'net.  As if my ramblings are worthy of such action, ha!)

No comments: