Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ER Series Finale

ER premiered in September of 1994.  I was just starting fifth grade.  My bedtime was probably around 9pm, but my parents let me stay up late to watch ER on school nights.  Maybe they thought the show was educational.  Perhaps it was then.  I know it was now.

I wish I could say that I was drawn to the show due to the science of emergency medicine.  Even though I learned more anatomy from the show than a year of college courses (not joking!), I still new from that young age that not every sick person needed a chest tube or to be intubated (still cracks me up how often they did those).  The show had ups and downs over the years.  I didn't always have time or was too tired to stay up until 11pm to finish the episodes each week.

Over the course of seven summers, I was stuck at home through the day.  My sister and I would spend the entire day indoors crafting or reading or watching TV.  We'd play games in the garage or maybe run through the sprinkler on the hottest days... but we weren't allowed to go anywhere.  I was still too young to work.  Seven summers.  The only thing that got me through the long days was TNT Network's airing of ER reruns.  I caught up on past episodes I'd missed and rewatched old favorites.  To this day, the only two episodes I haven't seen are of Carter in Africa.  Those two episodes somehow managed to evade my watchful eye over the years.

I was there before George Clooney became famous.  I watched as doctors came and went from the show.  I bawled my eyes out when Dr. Greene passed away.  It took me two different viewings to sit through that whole episode.  I cheered when one of my favorite actors, Scott Grimes, joined the cast as Dr. Morris.  The last few episodes have been a trying experience complete with tears, laughter, and incredible joy as the ER ship sailed one last time.  The one moment that killed me was when Haleh took Neela down to the basement to put her locker nametag on the wall next to the others of those who have left the show.

The Boy didn't quite understand how much it means to me to say goodbye to the show.  I realize my JAG fan days might cause some think I get too involved in silly TV shows.  But, for once, I know I'm not alone.  ER is the most Emmy-nominated show in television history.  The show sparked careers for more than one of it's doctors and nurses.  It opened the eyes of millions of people each week to dramatic characters, exciting plots, outstanding filmwork, and even taught us some medical jargon.

It's been fifteen years.  I've coursed my way through the end of grade school, middle school, high school, college, and now the real world with ER as my trusty Thursday night companion.  It's a bittersweet goodbye.

1 comment:

Snookie said...

I found a typo!