Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Case of the Construction Workers: Part 2

Last week, I ranted about the construction workers we have had in our office lately. They are installing new fiber optic cables. And, as I mentioned before, they are messy and loud. I know there is some noise inherent to construction work, but shouting and swearing is certainly not part of the job.

Today, though, today they went too far. You see, sometimes my coworkers and I like to take treats into the office to share with each other. We bring in donuts on occasion, or sometimes someone takes a fresh loaf of bread. We usually leave these treats on the counter in the copy room where people can come and go as they please. I can see the copy room just beyond my desk. As I was working, I happened to look up and caught the construction workers standing around a loaf of fresh bread just chomping away.

It's not that they were eating the bread as much as that they didn't ask and didn't clean up first. After handing drills, drywall, dust, dirt, grease, grime, and who-knows-what-else, they were pawing all over the loaf as they hacked into it with a saw. That's right, they used their saw instead of the bread knife we had sitting there.

I'm all for sharing bread--especially when we had more than we could eat--but contaminating it and making it unfit for others' consumption was more than I could take. My boss wasn't phased. Nothing was said, nothing will be done. They won't get a note or a talking to...

Even worse, I'm told they ate food that was supposed to be for a big conference upstairs. Seriously? Where do these construction workers get the idea that they can get away with this behavior? I'm not sure where to complain to other than through my bloggy here, so this is my outlet. Sorry if it's repetitive and seems whiny, but things like this bother me.

1 comment:

Lockwood said...

Call the workers' office and ask to speak to a manager. I agree... that is offensive. To take food without even asking, and contaminating it in that manner is inexcusable. On the other hand, if you really did have more than you could eat, you missed an opportunity. You could have invited them to have some, and politely mentioned that the noise and language was really distracting, and is there any way to tone it down?