Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Changes Ahead

Deciding to marry The Boy was comparatively easy to what I've faced in the last two months.  Both of us met with a couple priests to discuss our future, and we have been blessed to get answers we can live with.  A priest outside our local parish is willing to baptize me in the near future.  The process will bit unorthodox as I won't be confirmed at the same time, though I will take communion.  I can go through an RCIA process once The Boy and I get settled, and then I will be confirmed.

Being baptized isn't something I've walked into lightly.  I took more than a year to look at religion and ask myself what I wanted out of my life.  The Boy's quiet strength and patience with me has helped, but he never once forced me to do anything.  I worry that people will see me getting baptized before our marriage and think that I'm converting because of The Boy.  I wonder if they think I'm doing it for him instead of me.  I don't know how to convince anyone otherwise, so I guess I'll just have to tell the truth: I'm doing it for me.

Coming from a non-Catholic (and even anti-Catholic) family makes me concerned too.  I worry that my family will think that I'm going to spend the rest of our lives trying to convert them (not true in the least) or that they'll be pulled into the RCC in some way or another.  I worry that they'll think I'm going to turn into a slave to my husband (even though the RCC treats women better than any Protestant faith I've seen) or that I'm going to be popping out kids for the next fifteen years (hehe, NO).

It's a big step.  It's one big hairy scary step.  But it's something I can and am doing for me.  I'm really going to do it.  I'm going to give myself a label.  I'm going to become something that no one else in my family has done.  I'm going to forge ahead and grow in new and exciting ways.

Any advice?

No comments: