Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gettin' Fruity

Don't get me wrong here, I am all for knowing where your food comes from. However, the whole organic movement doesn't sit right with me. Any time people try to make money by inciting fear over something, it bothers me. "Oh my gosh, you can't eat that, it might have been pollinated by the wind! Only bees pollinate, only special bees. You don't know where the wind came from."

Lately, The Boy and I have been trying to find more fruit and substitute that in our diets rather than pasta pasta pasta pizza pasta every week. My mother just did a double-take there, I'm sure. She tried to get me to eat fruit all the time growing up. Other than the occasional apple or handful of grapes, she failed. And no, I'm not fruit crazy yet: oranges still disgust me both by taste and texture. In small doses, I can tolerate citrus smells, but up close, ugh. No way am I eating it. Not even the juice.

I bought a few bananas, and we both buy apples now. The Boy found some "canned" peaches ("canned" because they're in plastic jars). When I find grapes in the store that aren't from Chile (DDT still used there!), I try to get them. When watermelon comes back into season, the Hermiston coops are going to get a bunch of my money. The Boy and I go watermelon crazy! Kiwis are another favorite, but since they're never really in season around here, I don't get many. Strawberries are another favorite, but I'm waaaay too picky about those to buy anything that comes from a supermarket. I only buy them when I get to pick them fresh myself.

The organic foods around here just don't look good though. The organic apples are softer and mealy. The organic bananas go brown or even black before I can get to them. I haven't even seen organic grapes. My favorite apples, gravensteins, aren't available anywhere in town either organically-grown or covered in caramel ('cuz that stuff will kill you, gloriously happy). One of my coworkers has an old gravenstein orchard, and he gives me all the apples I can handle for free during the harvest, but one person can only do so much with the apples.

Tonight, I'm scarfing down a banana with a whole wheat english muffin, toasted, very lightly buttered, and topped with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar. The muffin will be toasted, not the banana. Always makes a mess when I try to squish that in the toaster.

3 comments:

whit-o-roni said...

it's funny how we became so picky about are strawberries. :) but it really does matter. NOTHING beats a lebanon strawberry picked ripe from the bush. NOTHING.

Sarah said...

I'd like to comment about the whole organic thing, and I'm sure MANY people will hate me for saying this, but don't read too much into the whole organic thing.
The reason why I say this is because I've done research for some prominent fruit growers around here, organic fruit growers, and believe me--you probably don't want to know what the USDA and FDA allows to be labeled "organic". Why? Because it's often nearly impossible for farmers to get a high enough yield from their crops without using main-stream pest and disease control products. Antibiotics are one such example. Did you know that I can almost guaranty that the "organic" apples and pears you eat are regularly sprayed with antibiotics? Guess what. So are the regular pears and apples you can buy--for half the price of the "organic" ones. Just a little "food for thought"...

Sarah said...

To add to my previous post...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/13/organic-vs-conventional-h_n_201609.html