Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crossing the Tiber

Tonight, in front of friends and family, I was baptized into the Catholic Church and received my first communion. I have declared to the world that I believe in Christ as my savior, that I desire to follow Him, and that I intend to live my life according to His word.

I went into the process of looking at religion with a careful eye and cautious heart. In the beginning, I only wanted to learn. But now, a year and a half later, I suppose it has all been leading to today. The volume of information I've covered is astounding. Countless days were spent reading books and articles. Months found me questioning my choice to explore religion. More than anything, I was challenged by those closest to me to grow in my faith.

The decision to convert was not easy, nor was it always a happy choice. I know many people who disagree with what I did today. A few are thrilled, a few indifferent... my feelings are still mixed even afterward. Some believe I converted to Catholicism in order to marry into the church--not true. Some are stuck on me converting simply to make Mr. Wonderful happy--absolutely unfounded. It was a decision I made for myself after careful thought and incredible deliberation.

I "crossed the Tiber" as the saying goes, and I can't wait for the rest of this journey. :)

1 comment:

teasinglydiverse said...

I've really enjoyed following your journey over the months. I'm sorry that not everybody has been supportive of your choice, but it's clear from your writings that this was a thoughtful decision.
While not Catholic, I rejoice with you! Congratulations!
{Amanda Allen}