Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Odd One Out

Ugh, these stupid kids and all their credit card debt! They don't have any idea what they're doing when they borrow, borrow, borrow...

WRONG. I am one of those twenty-somethings buried under a pile of, oh, nearly ZERO debt. I am still paying off my student loans from college, but I haven't been late with a single payment, and I'm actually ahead of schedule a bit. My credit card has a zero balance as it is paid off in full each month. I've learned to not spend more than I have--weird!

So much of the time, I hear people complaining that kids aren't being taught proper spending/buying habits "these days." Actually, I think it's more like people aren't being reminded of what credit really is and how the credit system works. My high school, some small-town podunk backwoods hillbilly high school, required a full year of economics and personal finance. Every student I graduated with had to know how to purchase a vehicle and acquire insurance for it. We walked through buying a house. We learned about banks. We even got a touch of Wall Street and how to invest and create a diverse portfolio.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I feel like the odd one out when it comes to knowing these things. Please don't lump us all together. Some of us really can handle our finances!

1 comment:

MissKris said...

Dear Hubby and I learned early-on in our marriage that credit can be a monster. Once we paid everything off we cut up all our cards and pay cash for as much as we can. I must applaud you, Jaggy. When we hear of the huge - well, CATASTROPHIC - amount of debt most Americans are in, it's a pity the concept of living within our means got so horribly distorted along the way. I have a bro-in-law who used to work for the City of Tualatin and he and his work crew used to get a big kick out of the houses that'd have fancy cars, boats, RV's, etc outside...only to get up close to the windows and see many of them were just about empty. It all boils down to 'appearances' and 'keeping up with the Jones's'. A shallow existence but, sadly, one that a lot of people get sucked in to.