Saturday, August 08, 2009

Can't Quit Now

I believe I have finally reached a point in my life where quitting Facebook or blogging would be near impossible. It's not because I like them or because I use them every second (hardly!). Rather, I find that I have so much family around here that if I quit, they'd all think the cheese slid off my cracker (if you know what I mean). Between Facebook, MySpace, and the ol' bloggy, I think some people get too invested in this daily dribble.

Sometimes I want to get away. Sometimes I don't want anyone to know where I'm going, when I'll be back, or why I want to visit a place. It's hard to be that open about my life. I also don't think I'm wrong for not sharing everything.

To give an example, sometimes I don't blog on a particular day. It doesn't mean I'm lying in a gutter or heading to Mexico or anything other than I was either too busy spending time with friends or family or I just didn't have anything to say. And seeing that 90% of my weekends are spent with The Boy, odds are that I just don't have anything exciting to say. If I don't blog or update my Facebook status, the world will still spin.

It's an obligation to blog now. I really don't like feeling obligated to do anything. Feeling obligated makes my mouth taste yucky. Updating my Facebook status more than once a month feels like a chore. Sometimes I wish people could just mind their own business and not study my status for hidden messages or think too hard about a clever post title. But I can wish in one hand and spit in the other... quitting now would mean I am being "avoidant" and we can't have that now, can we?

1 comment:

MissKris said...

One of the blessings of midlife is finally coming to the point where you begin living your life for yourself, not the world around you. Besides, most people don't care about the minutiae of our individual lives...they may ask about us, but most people are very self-absorbed. I wish I'd come to this realization when I was your age...it would've given me a lot more freedom, that's for sure. So, Jaggy...do whatever makes YOU happy. There's only so much time each of us lives on this earth. Make the best of it focusing on you and The Boy. The rest of the world will continue on, believe me.