Monday, August 17, 2009

Diabetes, NOT Diabetis

I would like to take this blog post to remind the entire world how to pronounce the apparently difficult word "diabetes." Perhaps it is a generational thing where anyone over 40 can't seem to pronounce the word correctly. Maybe it's that the spelling changed sometime in the last three centuries and an older pronunciation lingers (unlikely). Or maybe the super-smart doctors can't seem to remind patients enough how to say this silly word.

Whatever the case, the disease is serious. I'm not trying to make fun of anyone who has diabetes: I'm reminding anyone who can't get the word out correctly. However, I find it exceedingly difficult to not smack someone who has the disease and can't pronounce it correctly.

"DI-ah-beet-ees," NOT "DI-ah-beet-IS." The word only has one "i." How can anyone look at the ending and come up with "-is"? I'd even understand a hearty "di-ah-BET-ess" with emphasis on the -ess, but -is? These two endings sound completely different! Don't fall prey to this awful and unintelligent-sounding trap!

It has to be generational. Please tell me this horrible trend is going to die out soon!

5 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, you're lucky they get as close as they do. Most of my parents generation still call it "Sugar."

Many from that generation call a toilet a ter-let and pronounce guarantee as "gar-unt-tee.

Languages die when those that speak them die.

Sam said...

thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I cannot tell you how many times I get so flustered when someone tries to talk to me about "di-ah-beet-is." Being a diabetic, it horrifies me at the amount people that will still try to correct me(!) when I correct them with the real pronunciation. Ergh!!

Keep up the awesome blog posts! LOVE IT!

MissKris said...

And how many people call "prostate" pros-TRATE?! Having worked in hospitals for years, mispronunciations of medical terms drives me crazy. And while we're at it, when did words that start with 'st' become 'str'? Have you noticed how many people, even newscasters, say 'shtrong', 'shtreet', 'shretch', ad nauseum?? THAT drives me literally insane. And so does 'grosheries' for groceries. I could go on forever, HA!

MissKris said...

I meant 'shtr'...one of those 4 am typos, ha!

Page48 said...

I'm sick and tired of people saying shtrong and shtrength, etc...It pisses me off to no end. Michelle Obama (aka The Firsht Lady) is high on my list of ridiculous offenders.

Of course, other things piss me off to no end as well. How about the fact that not a living soul under the age of 40 knows the difference between "then" and "than"? How the hell did we get here?