Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Gardasil Re-do, I think NOT

I checked my mail tonight to find a letter from my doctor. Apparently the vaccine I have been given over the last six or eight months wasn't stored properly and may not be effective. Lucky me! I not only had to suffer through three of the most painful injections of my life, but now I have the delightful option of doing them over again. The hospital will offer the revaccinations for free, but I'm not sure that eases my mind any. The original $300 should have worked!

As the vaccination was Gardasil and is used to prevent some strains of HPV, the leading cause of cervical cancer, I don't think I'll be getting the shots again. I'm almost married and have zero plans to ever leave that relationship, so unless either The Boy or I already harbor HPV for some unexplainable reason, I'm not at a terrible risk for contracting it (yes, I know there are other ways of getting HPV, but I'm low/no risk for those as well). If no HPV, I have a dramatically reduced risk of cervical cancer, but there's nothing I can do about cervical cancer that doesn't originate with HPV.

The hospital claims that only my last shot was possibly not effective, so hopefully the first two will cover me if I do ever come into contact with the virus. Considering my lifestyle, I'm not going to worry about it. At this point, the risk of infection from the needle is almost as high as getting HPV in the first place.

No comments: