Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Unit-less

Yesterday I blogged about the cancellation of one of my favorite television shows, Life. Late last night, I found out that CBS has canceled The Unit, my other favorite show. Suffice it to say that I am not pleased, nor do I have a single show to look forward to this fall.

The Boy recently discovered The Unit. I have two seasons on DVD (recorded from live TV myself, so shush), but he's still missing out on half the wonderfulness. He was really looking forward to both of the shows like I was, and now we're not sure what we'll do on those nights.

I don't know what to say. Two well-rated shows with several accolades each, good acting (Life had excellent acting!), and some good old-fashioned weekly ass-kicking... it's like a real TV show doesn't matter now as much as "reality" TV.

The Duggars are fine, and I'm down with Jon & Kate Plus 8 (or Kate & 8 Minus Jon, whatever they're calling it these days). I'll watch Food Network most of the time (except when Bobby Flay is on). Sometimes I want fake TV. I want to be taken on a ride that I know isn't real. I don't want to think, but rather I want to be absorbed into a deep plot or follow a character's development.

Goodbye, The Unit. You will be missed and will be very hard to replace.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

We used to have the full package of Dish network channels. Now we're down to the very basic because we got tired of paying an arm and a leg for stuff we never, ever watched. As long as I have PBS and Spongebob for the grandboys, that's all I care about. Dear Hubby and I have been talking about going back to no TV at all, which we did for the first 12 years of our kids' lives. I used to read books out loud to the whole family in the evenings. Why oh why did we ever feel we needed TV? Oh well. If it wasn't for the Outdoor Channel, I don't think Dear Hubby would watch anything, either.