Thursday, October 29, 2009

Honeymoon, Day 3

Day 3 of our honeymoon dawned just as early as the previous two for me as I wasn't able to sleep very well in a strange bed. The bed itself wasn't bad, but wafer-thick pillows didn't make me happy. I shook The Man awake around 7:30am so that we could be dressed and ready for the day by 8:30am. We first walked two blocks to La Creperie Voila on Pike Street. The strawberry crepes we both ordered were phenomenal. Talk about sweet cream and perfect strawberries (well, almost perfect--they weren't from Lebanon). We gulped those down before getting our car from a nearby parking garage.

It was a twenty-minute drive through morning traffic to get to the Museum of Flight. The museum didn't open until 10am (sharp, and they mean sharp). We got our bracelets and headed over to the Boeing Red Barn where we were able to see the original production barn from Boeing Field. We saw how they built wooden frame planes, and we saw plenty of plane models. The videos were somewhat interactive (poking buttons keeps me entertained a nanosecond longer).

At 11:00am, the BIG plane exhibit opened, and The Man and I were among the first to board an original Air Force One jet (Eisenhower's) and a decommissioned Concorde jet. Both were interesting, Air Force One for it's importance and scope, and the Concorde for it's unique shape and size. We learned a bit on board both jets. The Concorde was so narrow up the middle aisle that my hips reached both armrests on either side of me, and I'm not terribly wide (size 8, give or take), so it must be interesting to fly Concorde and be large.

After the jets, we wandered through the WWII exhibit. The many planes looked splendid, and the neat interactive radios were fun. The displays of soldier's tools, stories, and lives were very well done. We were probably in this area for an hour before we headed into the main hangar. We cruised through the space exhibits and boarded a mock-up of the International Space Station's work bay. The Man tried out a computer simulation of a shuttle landing where he sailed through the easy landing and even safely landed the shuttle on the hardest setting. I was very impressed since I thoroughly crashed my simulation into smithereens.

We went to the observation tower at the Museum of Flight overlooking Boeing Field's runway. We were able to observe real air traffic controllers in the nearby tower as they worked, and we watched a Royal Australian Air Force plane take off. We were the only people in the observation tower when a distress call came in over the radio, a pilot asking to land at Boeing Field. We both looked at each other without saying anything. Before long, we could see emergency crews scrambling on the tarmac. A plane very much like the one we saw take off came into land safely. We're not sure if it was the exact same plane or a different one, but they looked very similar (and how many Australian planes visit Boeing Field?). Nobody was hurt, and the plane taxied to a protected area where crews checked out the plane. We left the tower.

The Man got his picture taken next to a Blue Angels plane before we headed back to the car. After four hours of being on our feet wandering around a museum of airplanes and spacecraft, seeing the emergency landing, and being very, very hungry, we wanted to sit down and eat. We went back to our rooms downtown where we rested for a bit before deciding to go to dinner.

I'm sorry, but The Cheesecake Factory doesn't seem all that it's cracked up to be. The Man had bow tie pasta with alfredo sauce, and I ordered a big salad. Neither were spectacular. We didn't even get any cheesecake since they only seemed to have elaborate cheesecakes. I don't really want to try mango-coffee-rutabaga cheesecake... I'd rather have a plain-jane slice of the good stuff. Plus it was expensive, and I'd already had an amazing piece at the Space Needle and didn't want to be disappointed.

We watched some TV and played a game (looooove Sequence!) before we zonked out. Another long day with too much walking!

No comments: