Friday, October 30, 2009

Honeymoon, Day 4

Finally, a day that didn't dawn before dawn. I slept until my alarm went off at 7:30 (for once) and got up. I played with my camera taking pictures of the view outside our rooms as the sun came up through the cloud layers. The Man got up shortly after I did, and we dressed and packed all of our stuff. He got a luggage cart to haul our bags down to the lobby, and I checked us out while he walked two blocks to retrieve the car. We loaded up and were on the road out of Seattle by 9:00am. Once we got out of the city and traffic, we stopped at a freeway-side town where we ate at a Denny's. $20 for a breakfast that was surprisingly tasty. We were both stuffed to the brim in no time.

Around 10:30 we finally got into Tacoma where our first stop was the Washington State History Museum. I'm not sure what I expected, but having been to several history museums in Oregon (and many in other states), I was disappointed. Aside from a few good displays and two or three well-done exhibits, the rest of the museum was blah. A school group tore through the museum with no sense of courtesy or quiet, so the experience was not good for either The Man or me. We moved on to the Chihuly Bridge of Glass outside the museum by 1:00pm.

Talk about beautiful glass! The bridge can be broken down into two main parts: the covered part where viewers look up at the displays of glass above them, and the wall part where they can look at ornate vases and sculptures stacked in shelves. Between the two sections are two large glass towers that look like melting ice cubes (they looks better than I make it sound). I took dozens of pictures here!

We wandered into Union Station next to the museum where we encountered four more Chihuly exhibits. These four were much larger than anything on the bridge, and they were incredibly colorful. I'd love to have even one scrap piece of glass from any of the exhibits... beautiful, fantastic colors and shapes. The building architecture was neat, too, and we had fun exploring the many floors.

By 2:00pm, we were running out of time on our parking sticker and were getting homesick, so we decided to mosey down I-5. We took turns driving from one rest stop to the next, snacking and chatting or listening to music as we went. We crossed the Oregon border and hit Portland traffic around 4:30pm, though traffic only slowed a tiny bit once or twice. We made a few stops along the way, once to pick up a late wedding gift, once to buy some clothes at the Woodburn outlets, and once to stop and visit my parents really quick. We had to get milk and bread right before we got home, so at long last, around 9:00pm, we parked the car one last time.

We unpacked, sorted the laundry, showered, and pretty much dove into our own bed. Hooray for pillows that aren't flat!

No comments: