Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Where The Man is From

Inspired by MissKris and her poetic posts, both The Man (I'm married to The Boy, therefore he is now The Man) and I have filled out our "Where I'm From" poems. His today, mine tomorrow.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I am from the forgotten streambed where cattle roamed, from Bookmobile forays and too-short sweat pants.

I am from the creaky upstairs with slanted roof, or the backyard swing set on the kid-imagined mountain.

I am from Kleczynski reunions and bony noses, from Grandma K’s donuts and Uncle Ken’s barbeques and Steinkamp camping trips.

I am from life-long friendships that push me every day just to be worthy of them.
From the land of strangeporks, weirdbeards and bedtime Aesop’s.

I am from tough-kneed Catholics and quiet, powerful faith, where you’re family if you join us twice. Bring food next time.

I'm from stubbornness and determination, a combination just as deadly as Mom’s macaroni and cheese and Linda’s banana cream pie, and where an incurable disease known as Jerkism seems to run in the family.

I am from the thorny blackberry bushes hiding secret forts, the backyard trees with hotdogs for leaves.

From scenic routes through Eastern Oregon, sometimes with no flat tires, and from snow-packed skiing trails perfect for pushing dad over.

I am from whole-family pictures numbered to remind us who is who, JustBesideAndMy and WalkMeBeFriend, and walls stuffed with laughter where the house is warmed by love just as much as woodstoves.

2 comments:

MissKris said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful, The Man! It is amazing to me how much these essays/poems...whatever we want to call them...reveal about the true nature of a person. I don't know you or Jaggy personally but just by reading this, I can 'see' the essence of who you are at such a deep level. Well done! And something I'm sure YOUR children will treasure some day.

MissKris said...

P.s. I bet you were a darling little boy!