Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I am one with the cranberry juice - again

Yesterday afternoon, I realized I was starting to get a urinary tract infection. I've had them before, no big deal. I went to Urgent Care after work, peed in a cup, waited for the lab to confirm what I knew anyway, and then waited again for the doctor to give me the antibiotic prescription. After the incidents with sulfa-based antibiotics in September, I made sure to get non-sulfa drugs this time. The Man kindly went with me to the doctor and then to the pharmacy where we were able to get the prescription filled (even after 8pm!). By the time I could take the antibiotic and get the Phenazopyridine in me, I was in terrible pain. I was beginning to urinate blood and what looked like little red boogers of my bladder lining. Oh yeah, it was fun. By midnight, I couldn't stand up. I called a nurse care line provided by my health insurance. The nurse was as sympathetic as she could be, but after explaining that I'd already been to the doctor and that I was drinking enough fluids to have to pee every half-hour, she essentially told me to buck up and get over it. Oh, and take some Tylenol. Thanks. I took some Aleve as acetomenaphen usually makes me nauseated, crawled into bed next to my concerned husband, and prayed for the pain to end. The Man humored me by telling me a funny story, by holding me and trying to take my mind off the pain. I finally fell asleep around 1am.

I'm feeling a bit better today. The pain has slowly decreased throughout the day as the drugs start working. I am peeing umpteen shades of painless neon orange, though that's a welcome change to hurting. The most frustrating part of all of this has been a sort of inquisition. I mentioned to a few people that I had another bladder infection, and they got a bit accusatory. I felt ashamed, defensive, angry, and disappointed both in them and at myself.

Please understand that I'm not only fastidious about my body, but I'm knowledgable when it comes to bladder infections. I've had them before. I had them as a child, and I've had a few as an adult (three recently). I wear cotton panties. I wipe front to back. I shower daily and wash thoroughly--but not too thoroughly that I might cause a yeast infection. I urinate after having sex every time (I'm married, I can say that, sorry Mom). I drink five or six glasses of water every day in addition to any pop or juice, and while I can't say I drink cranberry juice every day, at least I know that's a smart choice so please don't remind me about it.

This UTI snuck up on me with only a few hours warning before I got to the doctor. It was incredibly painful, but I'm on the mend. I am frustrated that I keep getting these, and I hope people understand that sometimes it's not about how clean a person is or how diligent they are in avoiding UTIs, but that some women are prone to them. A little understanding goes a long way. Not sympathy, not even special words or anything... just understanding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TMI......TMI........!

MissKris said...

Oh, you poor baby. Sounds like "Honeymoon Cystitis" to me. Happens to most of us women, especially those of us who haven't 'co-habited' much if at all in the past...IF you catch my drift. I've been prone to UTI's all my life, too. Believe me, I sympathize!

MissKris said...

I wasn't sure you'd post THAT comment, ha!

Happy Thanksgiving, Jaggy and The Man!!!

I keep checking for wedding photos at your wedding site...how long does it take for those people to MAKE them?!

cm0978 said...

I'm so sorry that you had another bout. I have no suggestions to make because it sounds like you are doing everything right. It must be comforting to know that you have someone with you during the whole process, someone who can do things for you or simply just hold your hand and commiserate.