Sunday, November 29, 2009

Natural Carpet Cleaning Recipe

It has been a busy four days. We ate great food, slept in every day, did some heavy shopping (a stand mixer and a new TV, happy wedding to us!), and cleaned the apartment top to bottom. I did four loads of laundry, baked cookies, vacuumed, mopped, removed a few small carpet stains, scrubbed the tub, bought a few groceries, and watched four movies.

The carpet cleaning was a bit tough at first. I looked into Woolite's Rug Stick thingy, and I checked out reviews of different carpet cleaners on Amazon. I researched pros and cons of different chemicals, considered wet versus dry cleaning, and finally gave up. The carpets could stay dirty for all I cared. But I gave it another go later and typed in "natural carpet cleaner" into Google. One of the first few options was pure genius! Here's the super-easy, extra-cheap, very effective solution I used:

-a good dollop of Dawn--the original blue stuff works just fine
-a half-cup or so of water, maybe eight or ten times as much water as Dawn
-pour into a blender (I used my little off-brand Magic Bullet with the whipping blade)
-blend until ultra-foamy
-using a small nylon bristle brush (like a toothbrush, duh), dab a bit of the soapy solution into the stain working toward the center using small strokes; don't vigorously brush the carpet or you'll destroy the fibers and make a weird spot in the carpet that looks worse than the original stain
-blot the damp area with a dry towel until almost no moisture remains

I am not joking, I took out seven or eight spots in about five minutes with this stuff, and it didn't cost me but a few pennies and some elbow grease. I didn't use any chemicals I wouldn't use bare-handed, and I didn't have to deal with a lingering scent. Fantastic stuff! I tossed the rest of my solution down the drain as I only made a little bit, but the extra solution could be stored in the fridge for a long time. Just re-blend it next time a stain occurs. Also, because I only used dish soap and water, the dishes were a snap (what, you want me to put more soap in to wash it? ha!).

This probably wouldn't be feasible for a larger area and certainly wouldn't replace a carpet shampooing every six months or year (or five), but for the time and cost, it's darn good. I'm pleased.

No comments: