Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Breakfast Burritos: Disgusting!

We've tried a half-dozen ways to make them, but we still haven't found a recipe we like. Breakfast burritos are apparently outside the realm of "tasty" for us. Seeing and hearing how many of our friends love them, we figured we'd give them one more try. Catastrophic fail.

Either I'm missing the ingredients or the point entirely. We used our favorite flour tortillas, a mexican cheese blend, fresh eggs, some sausage, and hash browns that were not only fresh but well-seasoned. What else goes in breakfast burritos? Some people like black beans, and some people put in avocado. Neither of us eat those, so we left them out. Tomatoes, onions, and peppers are not high on our list either.

Maybe it's a texture thing. I love just about all breakfast food, but scrambled eggs rolled up in a tortilla make me gag. I tried to get a good crisp on the hash browns in order to add some texture, and while it helped, it really didn't work for me. We put in less cheese to make the whole thing less greasy and gooey. My sausage was about the only redeeming quality to the mess. Even with the textured hashbrowns, less cheese, and thoroughly cooked eggs, the burritos were a mushy, bland, disgusting meal. Honestly, it was one of the worst foods I've tried in a long time. I will also mention how many pans it took to make the hashbrowns, scramble the eggs, fry the sausage, and warm the tortillas... (you do the math). Ugh!

For the same amount of time and effort, I could have made pancakes and/or waffles, sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns, and my overall cost would have been less than or equal to the breakfast burritos. Plus I would have enjoyed the pancakes a lot more! I don't know what we're doing wrong with the burritos, but suffice it to say we won't be trying them again anytime soon. Yuck!

4 comments:

cm0978 said...

The only time I eat eggs for breakfast at home is if I'm feeling under the weather. Something about them does not appeal -- unless it's at a restaurant.

Jax said...

Jaggy,
I didn't like burritos for a long time, but I came up with a recipe that I think is pretty good, and it takes only one pan! If you're up for another round, try this...Dice some bacon, brown in a pan. Remove to towel to drain. Reserve bacon grease. Put some bacon grease back in the pan. Add raw diced potatoes to the same pan. Season to taste. Make sure you mix to distribute bacon grease. Cover for about 10 minutes until potatoes soften. Remove lid and stir them around so that they brown and crisp up a bit. Remove to paper towel to drain. Break eggs into a bowl, whisk and season. Add some of the reserved bacon grease into the same pan (it doesn't take much). Add eggs and scramble (I cook until its a hard scramble). Mix eggs, bacon, and potatoes in a bowl. Wipe pan. Warm tortillas in same pan. Assemble burrito. I don't add cheese, but I am sure you can. I think they are especially yummy with Tabasco Chipotle Sauce. My family likes them, so I actually make a bunch at a time because they freeze well. You can play with the proportions and make it less egg-y and more bacon-y and potato-y if you want!

You don't know me, but I read your blog often. Glad you and "the man" are well.

Jeff W said...

Well, if you ask me, adding ketchup couldn't hurt! :p

Shawna said...

Try using tater tots seasoned with salt and paprika instead of greasy hash browns(4 per buritto). When scrambling eggs lighten them by adding a little milk, salt and pepper. Use equal amount of sausage and egg and keeping egg pieces small and crumbly. Add a teaspoon of salsa. And grated cheese.