Friday, December 25, 2009

Happy Holidays

Christmas has come and gone, and I am thrilled! No more rushing around spending money, no more wrapping and ribboning, no more baking with oil/butter/eggs as the main ingredient. It's not that I don't like the season of giving/receiving gifts or delicious food--I really like all of those things! Having attended different celebrations this year, I am a little overwhelmed. Did everyone like the gift I gave them? Did all of the food I made turn out okay? Did my wrapping jobs look neat? I'm simply thankful that it's over this year. I'm not knocking the holidays or trying to ruin for anyone else, nor am I being selfish: I'm turkey-ed out.

On a side note, I heard from more than one person this holiday that they were so impressed we hand-wrote and sent our wedding gift thank-yous within two weeks of our wedding. It made our hard work so much more worth it! Of course we would have done them on any time schedule, but Mom and Dad drilled it into me to get them out promptly. We did. It feels great to hear people--especially family--tell us that it still means something.

I'm also glad that I can now move on from the annual bickering about which holiday salutation is more politically correct. I say "Merry Christmas." I say "Happy Holidays." I say whatever comes first, so don't be offended. As a Christian, why on earth would I put up a fuss about "Happy Holidays"? It's not like someone is saying they hate me or wish a plague on my family... the whole bickering thing really needs to stop. I'm glad I have eleven months before I have to deal with it again.

Mom gave us our big gift of the holiday season: a bread machine. We will have fresh bread in approximately an hour, and the apartment smells delicious. Oh, and we gave each other a bunch of dollar bin art projects: too much fun! I'm a happy kid.

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

Well, I can honestly say that your presents to me were great. I showed off the box and magnets you gave me and all the female relatives got a speculative look in their eye of "That looks like something I would like to do." I am now going to show them off to the people at work, who will get that same gleam in their eye. Thanks again!