Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Zeus Dammit

Have you ever heard someone that you know is not a Christian exclaim, "oh my God!"? I am not typically offended to hear the phrase, but I have always been taught to not take the Lord's name in vain. I wonder, how can someone who isn't Christian say such words? Do they say it without understanding what it means to Christians? Do they say it because they hear it spoken so often? Do they say it to be cruel?

I don't understand why non-Christians would invoke the name of a god in which they have no belief. I don't go around saying "Zeus dammit!" or "oh my Allah!" or "Thor darnit!"

Maybe I'll start...

2 comments:

MissKris said...

From a person who's lived life from both ends of the spectrum, before I believed in God I always swore...like a sailor. And I didn't give any thought whatsoever to what was coming out of my mouth. I didn't care what anyone thought. And I took God's name in vain all the time. In fact, I started most sentences by saying His name at the beginning. Now...it stabs me in the heart every time I hear someone do it. But honestly, Jaggy...it's done out of ignorance. Just like with the liberal use of the "F" word. I absolutely DETEST it but it's everywhere, as common as "Pass the butter, please." Sure doesn't say much about our society, does it? I've even quit reading a lot of blogs when they get going with the "F" word, I hate it that much.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Maybe they are saying it as god (lower case)not God. And just because they aren't Christian doesn't mean that they don't worship a monotheistic God. They just have different names for their God. Allah is the same God as Yahweh and Jehovah. Catholics and Jews use Yahweh and Jews aren't Christians which is kind of funny because Jesus was a Jew and not a Christian.