Thursday, January 28, 2010

I do not like iPods or their oblivious owners!

I have a thing against iPod users. It's not because I don't like listening to music--not my favorite--but because the dinky machine owners have nearly killed me several times. I don't have a problem with the device itself, nor do I have a problem with people using them at home. It's when people listen to iPods while walking around town ignoring traffic that I have an issue. It's when I see two thin white wires traveling up to ears on a cyclist who is weaving to the beat nobody else can hear that I really get frustrated.

I thought there was a law that said cyclists' ears cannot be covered or filled by any substance that inhibits hearing. I am certain that noise-canceling headphones ought to be illegal for cyclists if they're not already. Think about it: as a cyclist, you're contending with vehicles much bigger and much less maneuverable than you, and yet you would prevent yourself from being able to hear a car approaching from behind you? Do you think it's a good idea to wear headphones that distract you from traffic so much that you become a hazard?

And even worse, I see people roaming the university campus with their headphones in, people completely oblivious to their surroundings. IN THE DARK. I'm not just picking on women either, though I think the risk for them is slightly higher. Why on earth would you put listening to music at a higher priority than safety? Why is music so incredibly important that you have to tune out the world and not watch for cars or bicycles or other people, other humans that you might potentially have to interact with, *oh, the horror!*

Maybe it's a sign of my age, a crusty and crotchety 20-something (I think not). Maybe it's because I don't buy into the next iFad (the only Mac I use is a full-size computer at work--that I didn't get a choice about). Maybe it's because I think people should always be aware of who and what is around them. Whatever the reason, iPods users frustrate me to no end.

5 comments:

whit-o-roni said...

amen, sister!! i agree 100%.

Skunk said...

How do you feel about users that have only ONE earphone in, not both?

Jaggy said...

One earbud is half as bad. :) From my experience using one earbud, the volume ends up being turned much higher in the one ear. That's not good.

When walking around or bicycling, no headphones at all. When shopping or doing something in public... one doesn't bother me as much, but it's so rare to see someone with one earbud that I probably wouldn't notice it.

I see those damn white cords sticking out of a shirt collar and want to scream.

Dr. Weirdbeard said...

I thought about walking to class with an ipod, but realized that I'm saying, "I am not approachable. I am choosing to be a mobile hermit."

One bud is one and a half times as bad. It says, "I want to pretend I'm interested and involved, but you aren't interesting enough for me to devote my full attention to you." I'd rather people just stuck the other earbud in and flipped me off.

My iPod is in the car, hooked to the stereo. Singing in the car is perfectly natural. :)

Lockwood said...

Agree. I spend a lot of my waking time across Monroe from campus, and the number of near misses I've seen is horrifying... only one accident with no major injuries, but that was scary enough. It's not just cyclists either; pedestrians step out into the crosswalk with no warning, and paying no attention, as they snap their fingers to whatever it is they're listening to. They also tend to be distracted from other people on the sidewalk. I get irritated when people run into me because it never occurred to them to watch their surroundings. They're too busy listening to music.