Saturday, January 02, 2010

More Veggies, Please!

I've always been a pretty good vegetable eater, though veggies were never my favorite. I draw the line at beets, peas, and squash, though, and I'm not fond of any of the really weird or hard-to-find veggies. Salad bars delight me right down to the ranch dressing (just a little).

Recently, I've been on a veggie binge. We picked up some stir fry veggie blends that are quite good, and I just made a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup with extra carrots, celery, and onions (extra noodles coming, don't worry). When I make my version of Zuppa Toscana, the Olive Garden soup, I always double the amount of kale in the recipe. The Man and I both looooove kale that way. We both eat fresh spinach whenever we can, and I'll eat it wilted but not that frozen brick crap.

Five years ago, I picked every speck of red, yellow, or green pepper out of my food. Now, as long as the peppers have a little crunch left in them I don't mind so much. I wouldn't eat green bean casserole unless it was Mom's or Grandma's, still a safe bet to keep it that way, but I'm learning to try other ways of doing things.

And I'm eating more fruit, too, but that's a slow venture. Four apples a week, maybe four bananas a week if I'm feeling daring. Strawberries and watermelon when they're in season... grapes if I can find domestic or organic ones that don't cost me my head. I rarely buy my favorite, kiwi fruit, as it's just too expensive. Most of our fruit gets blended into dairy-free smoothies (ignore the two scoops of low-fat ice cream, it's just for "color") or is consumed as no-sugar-added juices.

I think I made it through college on one fruit or veggie each week, and now I try to get them at every meal in one way or another. Tonight's soup smells amazing, and I can't wait to dig in! Does that mean I'm growing up?