Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two Day Weekends are Too Short

Yesterday was fun aside from both of us having nasty headaches. We don't think it's something we ate or drank, just a factor of being tired and not getting food at the right times (six hours between meals does not sit well with either of us, and I forgot granola bars, stupid me). A little Excedrin for him and a dark room for me, and we were feeling fine by bedtime.

We went to Salem to The Man's first elementary school reunion. Everyone from the 150-year school history was invited for dinner and a tour of the building. We dined on fancy salad (weeds! covered in ranch!), some interesting spaghetti, and grocery store cake (the gag-me frosting kind). I'm not complaining about the food--ate just about everything on my plate--but it was an interesting way to feed an older crowd. I'd recently gotten a private tour of the school, so we skipped the tour, but it was nice to visit his early stomping grounds.

Today included Operation Menu Planning and shopping, week 4. We've been planning weekly menus and sticking to them for a month now in an effort to make our lives easier and less expensive. I don't know if it's working yet financially, but I love not having to worry about what to make for dinner each night. We generally leave one night open for whatever strikes our fancy (was waffles last Friday, a fun and inexpensive choice). This has also eliminated the desire to eat out for dinner since we know we already have ingredients to cook our own food.

Additionally, I've tried to make a batch of cookies each week. I don't know if homemade cookies are healthier than Chips Ahoy or Keebler, but they certainly do taste better. The only downside is that they do taste so good that we end up eating lots of them. I need a way to cut out the butter. I'd feel much less guilty about gobbling down oatmeal cookies if they weren't two-sticks-of-butter-thick (*drool*).

I really wish this was a three-day weekend. Really, really, really wish. Yeah. *sigh*

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

I have a recipe book that has weekly menus for the whole year. It's actually a diabetic cookbook, so figure the recipes are healthy. I skip the recipes that I find unappealing or change them a little (I don't know if I can get used to ground turkey in place of ground beef -- the color is unappetizing). Have only been trying this plan for a month also. At least I don't ahve to think about menus.