Monday, February 22, 2010

Goodbye Ugly Sheets, Hello Curtains

I briefly mentioned in yesterday's post that we finally bought curtains. While curtains aren't exactly a huge and momentous purchase like a car or house, they're a big deal to me. When I moved into my apartment two and a half years ago, it only had mini-blinds. While blinds are fine and dandy, they're not very dressy. I elected to purchase some cheap sheets from Ross and turn the fitted sheet into pillow cases for the futon that then matched the flat sheet curtain. The blue, green, and mustard striped sheets looked great for a while. They were fine while I was dating The Man. Around our wedding day, I decided the sheet curtain made me want to puke. It was functional, tidy, and oh-so-ugly. The bedroom window is covered by blinds and a solid white sheet as well, simpler and less vomit-inducing, but still annoying.

We found curtains and sheets on sale at J.C. Penney this weekend, finally something worthwhile to spend our wedding gift cards on. We also picked up a new set of sheets for the futon. I could buy actual futon covers, but a double-size fitted sheet is easier to replace and wash, plus it's about 75% less expensive. I settled on a jade 300-thread-count set, so I get the fitted sheet and two pillow cases, plus a flat sheet should anyone ever stay over. They're really nice sheets! The curtains are a crinkled sheer panel that more than touches the floor. We chose a rich plum color to accent the jade futon. The couch pillows have a lavender and plum floral pattern on a white background, so now everything matches. :) Two curtain panels and a new sheets set totaled about $50, and it completely changed the look and feel of the living room. YAY!

Now if only I could find curtains that match the quilt The Man's grandmother made for us. Matching a quilt is impossible. Thus, the white sheet stays for now.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

Well, Mrs. Jaggy...I must say I'm glad you got all your wedding thoughts off your chest and are back on track with your day-to-day stuff. A wedding fan I'm not, ha! Oh, I remember those days of setting up our cozy nest, too. Such fun, especially when you're on a tight budget and are able to find great buys like you've been doing. I'm sure the new additions have really spiffed things up! Hey, you might email me this info, but what kind of work is The Man looking for? Sometimes Dear Hubby has openings at his work, as does our son and daughter-in-law. I know he went to college for something specific, I'm sure, but in this tight work world some other kind of work might tide him over 'til his 'dream' job opens up. I know you're not crazy about relocating to Portland but it seems I remember you saying you would if you had to.